View Single Post

Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
The issue I've always had with the 2" J-frames is that by the time you find a set of stocks that give you proper control, they're usually so big that you loose all the advantage of the gun's small size.
Many people use the factory stocks with a T-grip added. I have used this combo, but find its still a bit small for my hands.
The factory targets are great on longer barreled guns as are the various rubber type grips. But on a 2", most are just too big for pocket carry or deep concealment.
On a round butt 2", boot grips are the answer. They're perfect on these guns. The problem is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, makes boot grips for a square butt J-frame unless you have them custom made.
I have a square butt 2" Model 36. I bought it cheap and it had a set of Pachmyers on it so I didn't realize it was a square butt until I took the goodyears off. Yeah, I know, my mistake.
What I ended up doing was buying a set of well worn Herrett's Shooting Star grips cheap and then cutting off the bottom even with the grip frame. Thus creating my own boot grips for the gun. It works fine. Shoots good and conceals very well. Recoil is a bit stout. I don't shoot a whole lot of rounds through it at the range. But it works just fine for concealed carry.

BTW: last year I picked up a round butt 642 and with the factory rubber grips, it works very well. My square butt Model 36 is pretty much retired.
I think what you did is smart. In my opinion the big problems is there are not really any choices between small boot grips that really are in my opinion too small to be useable for shooting all on their own. Which is why I wrap some rubber bands around them. I realize some guys use them just fine. So I'm not saying this is for everyone. But you have the tiny boot grips, and then when you step up to a grip that covers the back strap some it's probably the hogue tamers. I wish someone made something sort of in between. Cuz like you say, most of the bigger grips kind of hurt the pocket carry. But I think there is a possibility to make something in between. Like the pachmyr compacs but have them cover the backstrap just a bit. Something that extends the frame slightly and the backstrap slightly.

I shoot well with the hogue tamers and they do help recoil. I forget if they work well for pocket carrying. I think I did manage it a few times but it's not ideal. And depends on pants. I think in dress pants they were fine, as those usually have a pretty generous pocket. But they cause my right thumb to be accosted by the take down lever every time I shoot it. And I'd rather have my thumb placement a bit different. I know some guys suggest smoothing out the takedown button and I guess that's a solution. But I still think someone should make an inbetween grip. LOL. I mean it's not like these guns aren't popular, you would think someone would've thought of that by now and acted on it.

I mean the pachmyr ones I bought are just huge. And I don't really shoot very well with them. It did change the placement of my thumb too. But I just don't like them. I don't really like the way they look either. And to me that little scoop at the bottom doesn't fit right and is unnecessary. And makes them look even weirder. All I can think about is it looks like a scrodum. LOL. Just what I want to be doing. Thinking about holding onto a scrodum while shooting.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: