Thread: Point shooting
View Single Post

Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Liked 1,047 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I do understand that, why I call bs on any dept teaching or even stating that you shoot to kill. Retired cop is Out to lunch, prior service or not. A shoot to kill policy would set every agency & leo up for massive lawsuits. There are enough active leo here to confirm that. Rude, no, just calling bs when I see it.
I am not defending that poster, and I'm not inclined to do so. I have met many like him.

Historically, in the early 1970's I can tell you the application of physical force was presented much differently that it is today. Firearms weren't emphasized as prominently as they came to be in later years (ie we did PPC starting at 60 yards, single and double action, strong and weak hand. We never saw a silhouette target until years later).

Liability, law suits and public perception were not on the radar yet. No one said "shoot to stop" it was understood that if you actually got to the point of using your revolver, then TSHTF, and serious injury or death of your actor was imminent.

You can believe it or not, but while the BLA was conducting their attacks on cops across the country, police training was far behind the curve, and many a rookie took credence from the FTO who said, forget all that **** they told you in the academy, I'll show you how we really do it.

I don't doubt that our errant poster hales back to those days or even earlier, and while he is an embarrassment, he most likely is who he says he is.