View Single Post

Old 08-02-2018, 03:52 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

[QUOTE=Kiwi cop;140097417]I like to read the concealed carry threads. And I would be lying if occasionally I didn't wander off in a daydream as to which of my pistols would be suitable for CCW, and even open carry, if I lived where it is allowed.

I had it narrowed down to my Astra Constable (PPK copy) .32 auto for concealed carry, IWB holster and spare 8 round mag on left side. Despite the short barrel and skimpy sights I can hit centre of mass groups at 25 yards with this pistol and face sized groups at 10 - 15 yards. Unfortunately it only reliably fires with Federal ammunition/primers, but then I carry Federal Hydra Shock ammo on duty and I am confident with it.

For open carry I thought one of my 1911's. .45 by preference but 9mm if I required by regulations.

Then today I read on the resurrected LEOSA thread someone mentioned concealed IWB carry of a .45 1911. My fist thought was full sized or Commander/Officers? After reading this I went out to the excursive machine and my mind started to wander off as the sweat started to run. I got to thinking, is a full sized 1911 suitable for CCW or is it just too much?

Now obviously I really have no practical knowledge or experience of this so..... What does everyone think?

Before the "There are so many factors" comments come in, here are some parameters.

Male, 6"1", larger frame (build) and 20 - 25 pounds over preferred weight.

4-5 o'clock IWB strong side carry with mag pouch IWB on weak side.

Cool weather clothing: loose jeans or expandable (elastic waist) casual trousers with 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" belt.

Reasonably loose button up shirt or polo shirt, tucked in and short vest.

Warm weather clothing: walk shorts with 1 1/4" belt. Loose polo shirt tucked in and usually a short vest.

Holster and mag pouches good quality IWB, steel reinforcing to hold open and the type that allow shirt to be tucked in (I just do not like the feel of an untucked shirt).

Feasible? Fantasy? Or possible with some adjustments (shorter length 1911 pistol only?)[/QUOTE

ITS PERFECTLY DOABLE. MY EDC WEAPON WAS A FULL SIZE, '70s SERIES, COLT GOLD CUP MK II IN A DESANTIS OWB, STRONG SIDE HOLSTER---ALONG WITH A DUAL MAG POUCH, ON THE WEAK SIDE, FOR 30 YEARS.....

I CARRIED 3 CHIP McCORMICK, 10 ROUND SHOOTING STAR MAGAZINES. WITH ONE IN THE TUBE, COCKED 'N LOCKED, I HAD 31 ROUNDS OF CORBON PowRball AMMO IN .45 ACP. THAT AMMO HAS A SLICK POLYMER BALL CRIMPED INTO THE JHP CAVITY. THIS ELIMINATES ANY FEEDING PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE "FLYING ASH TRAY" JHP DESIGNS, AND THE OGIVE SENSITIVE RAMPS OF THE 1911s. THE SHOOTING STAR MAGS ARE TOP QUALITY, AND PROVED TO BE 100% RELIABLE, IN MY EXPERIENCE......

IN THIS OL' SOLDIER'S OPINION---IF 31 ROUNDS OF .45 ACP CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE, ITS TIME TO POP SMOKE FOR A DUST OFF CHOPPER.....

Last edited by one eye joe; 08-02-2018 at 04:00 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: