View Single Post

Old 08-02-2018, 07:49 AM

Liked 283 Times in 145 Posts

Old cop here, TXDPS. In the 28 duty gun days, I was issued a 1911 when I was promoted to captain. I found it easier to carry in street clothing than the 28, by a wide margin. I was also issued a 2" square butt M&P. I found the 1911 as easy to carry in a close fitting pancake as the M&P, even though it is heavier. Remember, I was accustomed to the weight of the 28.

When we transitioned to the Sig 220, I kept the above two. I found the 1911 still useful on street clothes days. It digests the service ammo, 200 grain flying ash tray @1000+ fps. When I was promoted to Regional Commander, I was also issued a Sig 228 in 9mm. The flatter 1911 saw much more use with street clothing than did the 228.

When the .357s were retired, we were offered them at trade in prices. I bought my 28 and a pre-war 3 1/2" unregistered model that had been originally purchased for the Texas Rangers, also issued to me. When I retired, my staff purchased my issue 1911 and presented it to me. The M&Ps were not retired, but a few years ago I found a like new five screw 2" in a pawn shop and rescued it.

I have five J-frames. Now days, I mostly pocket carry a 42. If I'm not wearing a jacket, a handkerchief folded over the 42 breaks up the print. I like my several 60s, but the additional weight and the hammer are issues (I have never cut a hammer), and they are OK with jeans.

BTW if your 1911 drips oil and stains your clothing, it is overly oiled!

Your mileage may vary,

Jack

Last edited by daddy bear; 08-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: