View Single Post

Old 08-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Liked 399 Times in 195 Posts

I would keep the cases separate for each firearm, the AR-10 will most likely have a larger chamber. Even after full length resizing the brass wants to spring back to its fired size. And at the same die settings the AR-10 cases may not chamber in your Remington 700.

Normally shoulder bump on a bolt action is .001 to .002 and on a semi-auto it should be .003 to .006.

On top of this on a semi-auto the case diameter should be resized .003 to .005 smaller in diameter than its fired diameter. This allows the case to spring back from the chamber walls and extract reliably.

Bottom line, keep the cases separate and remember the dies adjustments will also be different.

NOTE, chambers and dies vary in size and as a example I have a Lee .223 die that will size the case smaller in diameter than my RCBS small base die. And this same lee die will push the case shoulder back further than the RCBS small base die.

A small base die sizes the case back to minimum SAAMI dimensions, meaning it sizes the case smaller in diameter and will push the shoulder back more than a standard die.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.