View Single Post

Old 08-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Liked 11,453 Times in 3,023 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents - In your shoes, I would look at the Hornady factory 240 grain XTP loads. I have taken enough big game with this bullet (mostly in my own reloads) to know it penetrates deep and holds together as it should, while usually providing some expansion.

Why that bullet? Because a hard cast 240 / 300 SWC grain bullet will penetrate deep, but unless it hits the brain or spinal cord, is unlikely to immediately incapacitate a black bear.

The 240 grain XTP loaded to 1200 / 1300 fps will also penetrate deep enough (though usually not quite as deep as the hard cast SWC) to reach the brain / spinal cord of any black bear, with the added advantage of expansion / soft tissue damage on chest and body hits.

I don't base my opinion on theory, but on about 50 heads of big game taken with mostly XTP's and hard cast bullets over the years. Hard cast SWC's will kill, no doubt, but typically slower with body hits than an expanding bullet that holds together like the XTP's. Brain / spine? Don't matter then, as either style bullet will do the job. Years ago, I shot a small black bear up in Maine that was in self defense. A 230 grain hardball load out of a 1911 .45acp to the head at about 10 yards dropped him in his tracks.

That 210 grain Silver Tip is a soft bullet, and while penetration may be limited compared to heavier and stouter bullets, I would have to think that bullet, while not my first choice, would quickly kill a black bear shot broadside thru the heart / lungs, and would doubtfully just bounce off a bears skull.

If you are really concerned about penetration, Hornady offers a factory loaded 300 grain version of the XTP that would also be a good choice, and its not loaded to the very max., making it fairly controllable compared to some of the heavy weight speciality ammo out there. I used that bullet in my reloads to kill a big Maine moose with one shot with all the penetration I needed on an angling shot thru the chest and one shoulder.

Other jacketed bullets may work just as well, but I stick with the XTP's because they have proven themselves to me. I have also tried Nosler and Sierra 240's on deer as well, and they killed quickly on broadside heart / lung hits, but seemed a little soft for deep, angling shots.

Last note - One of the quickest black bear kills I have ever seen was back in the early 1980's. I was deer hunting in the thick stuff up in Maine. Besides my rifle, I was carrying my duty gun - a 4 inch .357 mag L frame loaded with 125 grain Remington SJHP duty ammo. Sitting facing a deer trail, I put down the rifle, and decided to try for a shot with the revolver. All of a sudden, a 250 lbs black bear appeared out of nowhere (they are good at that). Facing me at about 20 yards, and unaware I was there, I raised the pistol, and placed one shot, center chest, using the white spot on his fur as an aiming point. He reared up and "woofed", then fell dead. Not a recommended load, but picking up my rifle would have spooked him, and in the end, it did work. Good thing I don't take blood pressure meds...lol He was my first blackie with a handgun.

Larry

Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-02-2018 at 05:46 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: