View Single Post

Old 08-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Liked 19,897 Times in 8,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I understand the premise of the question and discussion, but going directly to the Browning Hi-Power from the 1911 is... for lack of a better term... silly.

There are many guns more like a 9mm 1911 than a Hi-Power and the Hi-Power and 1911 have almost nothing in common beyond the name John Browning. And when you consider the amount of a Hi-Power that Browning was responsible for... you may just as well have said a Colt Woodsman instead.

People love 1911's for many reasons... if ya love one in .45 then you might love one in any other caliber too.

If you love a Browning Hi-Power, that's great also but if you were drawn to a Hi-Power because you think it's like a 1911, you've got me absolutely confused.
Was not saying a Browning was a 9mm 1911 ..........................see my post 7 ..... my question is more focused on the current/recent "surge in interest in 9mm 1911s."

I've been shooting for 55 years... for most of those years. at least in my experience, if someone wanted a single action cocked and locked 9mm; Browning was the go to option..... starting about 1985 the CZ (and clones) were added to the cocked and Locked mix.

In all my years of shooting including USPSA and IDPA (80s- about 2012) I can't remember seeing a single 1911 pattern 9mm...... 38 super yep ..... 9x21 yes; but not a 9x19........ and a fair number of Hi-Powers

Surprised by bigbruce's post about the original commander being 9mm .....interesting; so Colt tried it but it didn't catch on...... in the ........1950s??????

Seems like just the last 2 or 3 years everyone suddenly realized they could and started building 9mm 1911s. Kind of like the old "Gee I could have had a V8"

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 08-03-2018 at 01:17 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: