View Single Post

Old 08-03-2018, 04:19 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpo View Post
In Clint Smith's excellent video on clearing jams and malfunctions, how did he set those firearms up to fail during that first round of shooting? From that stovepipe on the first one I'm thinking he put empty casings as the second round in the magazine. Is that what he did? Any dangers of doing damage with that method?

I'd like to practice some live fire malfunction clearings and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I guess I could load some Snap Caps but I'm afraid I'll lose them in the grass and weeds.

YouTube
Clint's stuff is always excellent.

In 99.999% of all cases, the shooter should have a stoppage cleared so fast it is not noticed by fellow shooters or the range officer ("range monkey").

It always amazes me to hear about someone's range monkey who has to call over a committee to clear a malfunction for the shooter, none of whom have ever seen the model of gun used by the shooter.

I actually read a post somewhere this week where the range monkey had never seen or heard of an HK P7, had to call a committee over to the firing point to have "top level talks" with the other range monkeys to determine if the hapless shooter would be allowed to shoot the P7 for qualification because the committee of range monkeys could not decide if the P7 was safe, apparently not knowing that it was once the issue firearm of the New Jersey State Police, and others. Can you imagine that?

It is even worse when the range monkey has never learned on a DA revolver and does not know the function of the ejection rod or how to clear the piece.

It really all goes crazy when the range monkey does not know how to properly load and unload a SA revolver, or how to get the empty chamber under the hammer.

Where do they get these range monkeys anyway?
The Following 2 Users Like Post: