View Single Post

Old 08-05-2018, 12:27 AM

Liked 2,955 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler5 View Post
I had a 632 (essentially a 642 in 32 H&R Mag - 6 shots) that had a hammer pin that was standing a bit proud of the frame. I sent it in to S&W expecting they'd press it back into place and return the gun - which I really wanted back because it had been very hard to find. Instead they condemned the gun, said they didn't have any 32 caliber anything to replace it with, and didn't know when or if they ever would (I told 'em I'd wait if they had any production plans for the next year or so.) I had to pick something else as a replacement (I picked a 3 inch 7 shot L frame, whatever that model number is) which I sold without firing it.

My takeaway - you never know what they'll decide to fix and what to condemn.
OUCH, that hurts to read! That's amazing to me. I've been wondering if they don't make the 632 because they are worried about metal fatigue, especially from the 327, and a policy that they'd rather destroy a 632 than repair seems to support this.

I feel a bit bad posting this after your story, but I had pretty much the polar opposite experience. I broke the trigger stud on my M29-10, and called Smith. Without hesitation they sent a shipping label. I think it took about 6 weeks, but they repaired the stud and to my surprise reblued the gun for free, I think due to a problem with modern N frames prematurely damaging the bluing on the cylinder.

Before I called Smith, someone here told me to call, not email, and if they said no, hang up and call again later. Apparently, different warranty guys will give different answers. So if you don't like the answer you get, try again.

Good luck!