View Single Post

Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts

As posted...you did super great especially considering it was in a brick and mortar gun shop where flip profit reigns supreme.

I paid a little more for my also 1971 (s/n 3K44xx) 17-3 about 2 years ago and that was a private sale. The guy had a one line newspaper add, that just said "S&W revolver for sale, call ....."
No caliber, bbl length, or price listed so I called immediately because I have gotten so many good S &W's from adds, from estate sales, from pre-estate firearms only sales, but need to be quick.

When I called the guy told me he was a contractor doing home construction/repairs and this was a 22 and was his "truck gun".
I thought it wouldn't be worth a 1hr drive to see a gun probably all rusted from sitting in glove box or console in all sorts of weather, and said he wanted $550 firm due to immediate bills.

Anyway I did go, and he had the gun in a Charles Daly, Sherpa lined, suede outer gun rug. The gun was absolutely stunning, 3T's, zero blue wear, very slight turn ring, not even a speck of dust. I usually haggle, but $550 was firm with him so I did the deal.

He said he told people it was a truck gun because that's what all his buddies in construction told him....that no one these days wants an old 22 revolver...but tell people it's a truck gun and they'll figure a real working man's gun.

I don't think it had ever been shot much when I got it, but it is one of the family favorite now. I agree 100% with Steelslaver about increasing your revolver skills by plinking with this 17-3, or even the 4" M34-1..all super fun for everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W M17-3B.jpg (37.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg M 34-1b reduced.jpg (37.0 KB, 55 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 4 Users Like Post: