View Single Post

Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 PM

Liked 17,297 Times in 6,648 Posts

My understanding is that a lot of the smaller parts were out sourced. Which is why parts availability for 3rd Gens is sporadic. Fastbolt would know as he orders parts with some frequency.

As to fitting, the last 3rd Gens were built at Houlton (for the most part), so they probably still have people who could do it.

S&W still, or at least did a few years ago, forge their own 1911 frames. Those, along with revolver frames and other parts, 1911 slides, and plastic frame uppers are all machined on their 100+ CNC machines.

I don't know that handgun demand will slow to the point that S&W will have excess machining capacity. Also, they forge and machine parts for other companies not in the firearms industry. The last time I was there (2012) they were making cylinder block parts for Harley Davidson and plumbing fittings for some other company. That was in addition to the gun stuff they were doing.

I sure miss those tours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W Rover View Post
It seems unlikely. But perhaps a drop in overall gun sales would allow S&W to find time on the CNC machines to make the frames and slides - that would not be too difficult or expensive. Actually cheaper today that in yesteryear. (How many people make 1911’s today, albeit often from forgings made in the Philippines or Brazil?). The small parts and springs would be problematic and probably require outsourcing - raising issues of MIM parts made in India (which is Sig-Sauer’s way of making small parts). Then there are the fitting and labor costs...

Probably not within the realm of possibility. Although the market seems to like lots of variation and niche guns these days.

But if S&W the did it, and they surprised everyone with the niche 380 EZ, they would be wise to make slightly updated versions of the 3rd Gens that draw the best prices on the auction sites, e,g., the 3913, 3914, etc...