View Single Post

Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Liked 14,845 Times in 5,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Ironically and for a host of reasons Sig stopped importing the German made P-210's and after a lengthy hiatus, the P-210 is now being built in the USA for our consumption. While I haven't shot one yet, I have looked at them and they seem every bit as well built as the German made pistols. From what I have read and heard the US built P-210's are quite accurate and hold their own against German and Swiss built models.
I believe that it's far too early to call this race and so far there are two distinct groups piling up. On one side you seem to have the folks who own and/or have a lot of experience with Swiss and German 210's who are disgusted with these new and very much cheapened pistols and then you have the camp of folks who are well aware of the legendary reputation of Swiss & German 210's who think they have found a lottery win in a new American production P210A at half of what Swiss 210's trade at.

I've handled the new P210A and it certainly feels like an upgrade over service and duty type guns and is obviously in a different class than the trucloads of polymer tupperware that is currently flung from hell to breakfast.

However, my only basis of comparison with the P210A is 952's, 845's, PPC-9's, other (out of production) S&W PC pistols and of course, S&W Model 52's.

And when you compare these new production P210A's to the PC pistols and 52's, they do not match up.

I have literally zero hands-on experience with Swiss and German 210's but from what I have heard... you will also not be impressed with the new P210A unless you prepare yourself for a pistol that is about half the budget of what you know in a 210.

Quote:
Now for the kicker, the Sig US built pistols cost less than the ones made in Europe, quite a bit less in fact. So it is possible to have your cake and eat it too! Smith and Wesson COULD re-introduce the 952 if they wanted to and perhaps with a little forethought it could even be offered at a "reasonable" price. Reasonable is the key word. If Sig USA can build a Target P-210 for around $1,500.00 I would think Smith and Wesson could build a 952 for close to the same price. How much did the fancy, dancey case that 952's came in add to the overall price of them?
No way, no way, no way. If they attempted, they would have a cheap copy of a legend that should be sold in a blister pack, hanging on a peg near the cash register. Smith & Wesson doesn't have the floor space, the talent or the desire to make handguns like the 52, 952 and 845 any more. This company of 2018 is nothing whatsoever like the group of men that made the guns bearing the Performance Center logo.
Quote:
Unfortunately Smith and Wesson seems more interested in cranking out plastic pistols, 1911 clones and AR-15's that already proliferate the market place.
Agree with that, however:
Quote:
While the 952 may have been a special pistol, it will never be a great pistol as far too few of them made into the hands of the unwashed masses. S&W missed the mark on that one, by a country mile.
Again, do not agree at all. There are actually quite a number of 952's that were made and maybe even more 945's. The PPC-9's, 845's, 4006 Limited, the 3566 Limited and other 5" target guns are in shorter supply.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: