View Single Post

Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYlakesider View Post
Many years back at my large gun club, I was a officer and RO and instructor...

...All was well till one day a lone member was shooting 2 nice rifles and he went down the 100 yards to check his target. When he got back up range his two rifles and ammo was gone. No car or person was seen, they must have showed up "got lucky" and took his things and then left fast!

I normally used a good spotting scope and bullet holes were easy to see at the 100 yards, in fact you could tell what was what if you were shooting different calibers. That meant I only went down to set up or retrieve target, not a trip every few shots.

When I did target set and retrieve if I was alone I left my guns locked in car unless another shooter was there to keep a eye on things. As stated most time I stayed up range and kept a eye on things. I got in the habit of turning around and looking back on the trip down range a couple times after that stolen gun incident.
Boy I hear ya'!

I take the better half with me on days I want to shoot rifles on the 200yd range. My local rifle range has 20 stations. Even so, my senses get on edge when many/most stations are occupied and we get the all-clear to go change/check our targets at 200yd. Just impossible to watch on your own, and that is why I'll take a partner every time. PLUS... I always try to get one of the very last stations at the end (#18-20).
The Following User Likes This Post: