View Single Post

Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

#1mkIII, #4MKI*,#4MK1/2,#4MKII, #5 aka jungle carbine. Those are the ones that I can remember at 71 and a bit I think that's doing great. I have a #4MKI* made by Long Branch in Canada 1942. Then after the war the British had so many enfields that Parker Hale bought a bunch and made sporters out of them. They made I believe 3 or 4 different sporters based on the #4 rifles. I have the cheapest grade. Chopped the barrel back to about 22", cut the forend back, installed a Parker Hale front sight ramp cut for the #4 sight blade/insert. they also did the #1MKIII,and both models P13 in 303 British and U.S.Model of 1917 in 30-06. Some would argue that collecting just the Parker hale sporters would be a good start in any English rifle themed collection. I've accumulated a few mil surps over the years starting about 1968 or so. Used to be a rifle of the month club member. Would swap or trade plus some money to get something that I thought I couldn't live without. Best part is that even after all these years the barrels on mine look way better than some of the mil surps some dealers sell today. not many mil surps coming into the country now so those that are already here do command and get somewhat high prices. Most of the 303 British made during WWII and later are well past their best use by date. 8mm mauser is hard to find, with the sanctions against Russia even 7.62x54r is getting hard to find. Couple factoids regarding British Enfields. During WWII they relaxed their barrel specs regarding bore diameters. .312 is what it is supposed to be or close to it. Oversized bore diameters were the rule. Supposedly after the war those specs were reinstated. Good luck on your themed collection. Hornady does still make their .312 bullets in both 150 and 180 grains. Frank