View Single Post

Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Liked 4,624 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzGuns View Post
The Shield's Slide Lock has always been very difficult to use as a Release, due to the Very Strong RSA, but as Pisgah noted, with an Empty mag, One is dealing with overcoming the Very Stiff mag spring that's pushing up on the Mag Follower as well as the RSA tension.
Finally was able to get through to S&W Customer service who co-signed the comment above about trying to use the slide lock with an empty mag. With a loaded mag it's will work, as I confirmed with my gun already. He did say that using some 800 grit sandpaper on the slide I could reduce the pressure required to get a release but that over time, with use it will lessen some anyway.

He said that S&W calls it a slide lock in the manual NOT because that's the only function it can or should be used for, but because it (like the slide) was designed for minimum width, and doesn't extend out far enough for most to use it as a release. So they called it a "lock", but he emphasized that there is no reason or danger in using it for both!

He also said that 1911's have larger levers and some manufacturers call them releases.

Last edited by Protected One; 08-07-2018 at 12:33 PM.