View Single Post

Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,962 Times in 3,661 Posts

Perhaps my own personal example is more a matter of opinion than fact---and if so, it's my own damn fault for not spending the time and putting forth the effort to research the matter. As it stands, my opinion arises from input from some U.S.R.A. old timers.

And with that, I give you the Straight Line Single Shot pistol---supposedly the ultimate such weapon---designed and built only after extensive consultation with and research among the country's best target shooters. That produced a product which was introduced in 1925, and died a slow death over the next eleven years---during which they produced a whopping 1,870 pistols. As an aside, it's predecessor (the 3rd Model SS) sold almost 7,000 units in 14-15 years---and won an Olympic championship along the way. (I think.)

So what was the problem? Some point to problems with the gun. I point to problems doing their homework---again without ever having seen the homework---just by taking word of mouth as gospel---and by factoring in what was happening out there at the range. So what was happening at the range? Timed and rapid fire was happening---that's what. And timed and rapid fire and single shots don't mix. (There's a tale about a similar situation---with what was billed as the world's greatest dog food. There was but one small problem: The dogs wouldn't eat it.)

It is my speculation S&W's primary research vehicle, a lengthy questionnaire, asked for input as to the world's greatest single shot----if you could design it, what would it be? And their research subjects answered that question. I suspect, had they asked for input on the world greatest target handgun, the K-22 Outdoorsman might well have made its debut about five years earlier---at least. (The truth of that matter appears to be they had their chance to do a proper heavy frame .22 revolver back in 1910---maybe 1912. They got a special order for 20 guns from some Army officers---built them up---and they didn't work worth a cuss. It seems someone wasn't paying attention to business, and they were made with the wrong rifling rate. Speaking of screwing the pooch, let's see now---here's a chance to impress some Army folks---you know, the kind of Army that buys lots and lots of guns---and nobody cared enough to pay attention to what was going on---sad story.)

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 08-08-2018 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: