Thread: 696 a novelty?
View Single Post

Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,260 Posts

I really can't see any flaws based on the picture that couldn't just be image artifacts. Priced correctly I'd readily buy the gun. It should be a great shooter.

As for the comment about the model 69 having to be belt carried I have to strongly disagree. I have the 2.75" barrel 69. I bought a relatively inexpensive Don Hume H715 MS NO. 7-3 for it and put Hogue Bantam Boot Grips on it. I was afraid the small grips would make shooting it harsh but that's not the case. Aesthetically I don't like the grips but they work very well, and are cheap. With those grips and that holster I carry it IWB appendix in comfort and WITHOUT showing. I don't tuck my shirt but I'm in hot humid S. FL so clothing is light. The only issue is the clip is a bit high so I bypass my belt and clip it on my jeans. It has a strong clip so it holds well. It is as easy to access as most any gun carried IWB appendix. My 629-4 3" Trail Boss is not near as easy to carry. The Trail Boss is noticeably more pleasant to shoot but not by much. The Trail Boss is ported.
---------------------
IMHO the 696 is not a 629 replacement but is a very nice gun. I'd be inclined to buy it, shoot it and enjoy it but keep the 629 on the wish list.
---------------------
PS: I wonder if any of the holster makers on this forum could duplicate the Don Hume H715 MS NO. 7-3 holster but with a slightly higher clip. If not I can live with it the way it is.

PS#2: I wonder if any of the grip makers on this forum can duplicate those Hogue Bantam K/L frame round butt Boot Grips out of something else, a little better material, but also grippy like G10 or something. I guess my biggest complaint about these grips is that you have to pry them on and off. How many times will they survive that?

Sorry, I wandered off topic like usual.

Last edited by oink; 08-08-2018 at 01:45 PM.