View Single Post

Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 PM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

I tried a 327 Federal as a carry gun - a Ruger LCR, which at least is available and affordable, unlike 32-anything from S&W - and absolutely did NOT like it. Even though that particular LCR is an all steel gun it was too close to a 357 Magnum in a J frame for me to think about practicing with exetnsively. Even in the much heavier Single Seven, the hottest 100g 327 loads from Federal (American Eagle 100g JSP) and Speer (Gold Dot) are a handful, while the more tolerable 85g rounds from Federal are at or below the energy level of the 100g Buffalo Bore round for 32 H&R.

So virtually all of my 32 shooting is now done with H&R Mag cases. I have light plinkers and loads that duplicate the Georgia Arms 100g product that my wife will use in her 432 carry gun if she ever takes the course for the permit. I also have a load I tailored to shoot to the sights of a 3" 31-1 at about 20 yards - it's a real tack driver.

I load 32s on a Lee Loadmaster. I've marked the bullet seater so I can adjust it quickly for the various bullets I use in different loads. And I use a Lee disk powder measure, so getting the right charge for a particular load is just a matter of installing the correct disk, filling the hopper and dropping about 10 test charges to settle the powder. Setting up to make a different 32 load only takes about 5 minutes, most of which is spent checking/confirming the bullet seating depth with a couple of empty, belled-mouth cases and weighing the test powder charges.