View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts

This will probably make me sound like a 'gun snob', but I'll say it anyway: Why bother? There are plenty of fine pistols on the market that were designed specifically for the 9X19mm cartridge. The 1911 platform was designed specifically for the .45ACP (developed at the same time as part of the original development work), so pistols of that type chambered for 9X19 (or other cartridges) are pistols that have been adapted to work with other cartridges. Such a process involves much more than just a barrel with a smaller bore; magazines, feed ramps, extractors, ejectors, recoil springs, and other essential parts have been modified to adapt the pistol's basic design and functioning to a cartridge other than the one originally intended.

This adaptation has been ongoing since the mid-1950's, based largely on the emphasis on commonality of ammunition among allies and NATO countries. Colt produced the Commander series in 9mm, while S&W developed the Model 39 series, both hoping for big military contracts (which failed to take place until the late 1980's when Beretta seized the prize with the Model 92/M-9 series).

The 1911 design has been proven to be excellent for more than 100 years, with only minor adjustments during the late 1920's and early 1930's. Yes, there have been some enhancements adapted over the past 50 years or so, but the original design and function remain essentially unchanged.

I'll keep my 1911 .45's as they are, with a good Browning Hi Power 9mm for those particular needs.

Best regards.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: