View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts
Default Another King Super-Police! (Post yours!)

My first one is this example that came to me unexpectedly (David Carroll is the best, if you are reading I need to call you still), very much a top five favorite gun of mine:

A bit odd with the rifle base for the front sight, but overall a hell of a sweet looking gun. The sights are not quite cataloged, but were close:

These sights are glorious, hands down my favorite old timey sights. I'm a little baffled that they never caught on, everyone who holds one of these guns pretty much says whoa the first time they sight down it.

This particular gun is a bit odd in that this was clearly a working gun modification, and this gun was never really used much. I've been after more King Super-Police Night Sighted guns ever since, but the best I was able to come up with half that job:

That one has a red ramp front sight, but the rear sight is the Super-Police:

partially at least. They kept it square for the front sight, instead of rounding it for the bead.

As the years progress I hope to acquire more, but for now I am well pleased with this one. Despite the finish challenges.

Also, with my lens I can't really photograph sights quite right, and I'm lazy, and I don't care enough to buy a new lens or learn how to manipulate photos. I think these sight shots relay the point I want to make anyway.

About the only thing that really kind of annoys me about this gun is that the white inlay was missing on the rear sight. I've been attempting to replace it but the enamel I put in there after cold bluing the area (looks like it was stripped of all blue back there for some reason), is kind of jagged. I'll keep trying to figure out how to do it proper.

Fun fact, this is the first time I have ever used cold blue!

Anyway, here's the gun. Base gun was a 1917, barrel cut down to 3 and 7/8ths", King Super-Police Night Sights installed. Finish borked with maybe some navel jelly(?), and I'm not entirely sure how they made the barrel go plumb.

I'm still well pleased with it.

If you happen to have any King Super-Police Night Sighted guns lurking in your safe post them! (then sell them to me)

Last edited by Modified; 08-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.
The Following 62 Users Like Post: