Thread: Savage 99
View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Liked 29,143 Times in 14,091 Posts

"By the way, the .300 Savage is a pretty nice caliber too. I wouldn't pass on a nice example if priced fairly."

The .300 Savage is often overlooked today, but there is no reason for that. It is ballistically very similar to the .308 (or 7.62 NATO), the only significant dimensional difference between the two cases being that the .308 has a longer case neck and a slightly shallower shoulder angle. One can easily convert .308 brass to .300 Savage. One pass through a .300 Savage FL die, then shorten the neck. I have made hundreds of .300 Savage cases that way.

Some may be aware that the .300 Savage was the parent to the .308/7.62 NATO. The U. S. military felt that the .300 Savage case neck was too short to hold the bullet tightly enough for use in automatic weapons. So they lengthened it. As a result, the .308 essentially replicated and replaced the .300 Savage.

"Apparently there were two different twist rates in the 250-3000 Savage rifles. Around 1960 the 1-14 twist was changed to 1-10. I don't know if you reload or not but the bulk of suggestions seemed to be lighter bullets in the pre 1960 rifles produced better groups. A lot of the older guns didn't shoot 100 grain bullets very accurately according to a bunch of internet opinions."

One of the most significant screwups in twist rate involved the .244 Remington, meant to compete with the .243 Winchester. Remington initially used a slower rifling twist rate (1:12) adequate to stabilize the light 80 grain bullet. However, it was found to be inadequate to stabilize bullets of 100 grains or greater. From the beginning, Winchester used a 1:9 twist rate which would stabilize all bullet weights. Remington finally saw the light and tightened its twist rate to 1:9 and changed the cartridge name to 6mm Remington. But by then, the damage had been done to the marketability of the .244/6mm, and Remington lost.