View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 18,061 Times in 4,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Mario-

Look at the highlighted part of your post. I'm confused. Did Portugal accept some P-38's to fill that order? But not officially adopt the P-38/P-1 until 1961? How many P-08's were received in 1943, made from parts presumably left over in 1942?
It was not us but the German Army that received the P.38s early. Sorry for the mess. I went back and edited it (should have proofread it before posting but was late for dinner)

The Lugers weren't made from leftover parts. They were officially accepted only in 1943. Those pistols were ready to deliver to the German Army but diverted to us. They were about 5000. Started early in the m series (140 something) to the fulfillement of the contract. It must be kept in mind that the numbers are not linear. There would be gaps in it, mostly, I believe, because some already numbered guns would fail trials.

I will add that it took some time and redtape to allow the delivery of the pistols to Portugal. But, we were good Mauser clients, and strategicaly important suppliers of Tungsten (a.k.a. Wolfram) to Germany(and to the allies for that matter) during the war.

Last edited by Kurusu; 08-09-2018 at 04:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: