Thread: 696 a novelty?
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 05:45 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. mordo View Post
To me, a 3" L frame is an oddball. It weighs something like 3 oz less than a 629, carries one less bullet, and is still big enough it has to be belt carried. Also, for some reason the L frame trigger seems to be heavier than every other Smith revolver.

I'm just not a fan of the L frame.

Conversely, my 3" M629 Deluxe is my favorite gun, and I own a bunch. I carry it everyday.

There's a 3" 629 for $665 in the sales forum here (no affiliation). They are $727 Shipped from Grabagun, so that's not a killer deal, but you could offer him $625 shipped.
Doc-M... I never thought of it that way... I have a 629 Deluxe as well and it's my 2nd or favorite revolver behind the 3" M29. Surprisingly, it has a good stock trigger. Having 1K live pulls and 2-3K snap cap pulls sure does wonders for any decent out of the box trigger though. It's buttery though in DA and crisp in SA. I would only pick up a 696 over a 629 if I could source one for under 1K (good luck in Atlanta) and for it's collector's/coolness factor. It's a cool piece, but after your words of wisdom it makes sense to go with a 3" M29 or M629.

Last edited by HamHands; 08-10-2018 at 05:46 AM. Reason: pic added...
The Following User Likes This Post: