View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddocktor View Post
I will respectfully disagree with you about J frames. At least as a blanket statement. I am sure the alloy frame J guns are just as you say, but the steel frame gun like the one my wife has is not hard at all to handle recoil with 38 Specials. It has enough mass to counter recoil quite a bit. BTW, my wife isn't a big woman; she weighs less than 100 lbs with her clothes on and she has no problems shooting that 3" barrel 60-15 with 38 Special. I won't let her shoot 357 Mags in it though as I don't want her developing a flinch. It does get kind of nasty with full hot 158 grain loads. But, if Whitwabbit's wife can handle a 19 or 66 that would be a better choice, but it is around 10 ounces heavier for the 2 3/4" barrel model 66 as compared to the 3" barrel 60-15.
Agreed. OP, the most comfortable "J" frame grip/combo I've ever known is the stock Magna's and a Tyler-T grip. I have big hands and this combo really tames the recoil of even Buffalo Bore's 158 Grain .38Special+P's Soft Cast LSWCHP's which is equivalent to low-low end 357 mag pressures/velocity. I prefer their 150grain Full Wad Cutters in normal pressure. They make for a soft shooting load recoil/controllability wise but is very destructive on soft tissue. I train my wife with that load to put 2 pills to the naval and then put the other 3 just below the sternum at 6-7 yards.