Thread: Collecting
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 08:22 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Virginia. I fall in with murphydog in that if box and docs are with the gun then fine, I can and do mentally add some $ in my negotiation strategy. But as always...buy the gun...not the story. Box and docs certainly lend credibility/provenance to the "story" but are not the deciding factor for me.

My Model 36 is a no dash and (1965), the box and docs were simply an adder at time of sale, as Seller did not place any premium (not a gun person as is often the case at Estate sales). My Model 31 (1975) was bought literally unfired still in box with all docs and the original sales receipt folded under the other docs. This one too was bought from a man who's mother had recently passed away, and he found it cleaning out her house....never knew she had bought it after her husband had passed away.

So you never know, but most of my collection is the guns with no box, no documents. I shoot them all cause that's what I enjoy the most.

One caveat as you now proceed down this slippery slope called accumulating, collecting or whatever term you will apply to this addiction, watch out for reproduction boxes, documents, warranty cards, end labels....they are ALL modern reproductions and some are very good yet all are "phony baloney" to me.

The Internet is loaded with sellers of these repops and I guess they sell because these guys are in business year after year and if you know what they are and you still like them for whatever reason then fine. The "rub" comes in if a Seller is indicating original box and docs and they are really fakes.

You can usually tell, even a like new 99% original box has tell tales, even if it sat in a sock drawer for 30 years, so watch for it, especially if you are mentally adding a $ figure to your offer for any particular gun.

Also, as always, if in doubt, post a quick question on this Forum and you will be surprised at the number of speedy replies you get that will at least give you more insight and knowledge to go further into the deal, or back off and run away.

Snag that 36 you are thinking about, box or not, but remember when on this Forum.....if you don't post any pictures...then it simply didn't happen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M 36-A.jpg (90.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg M 36-E.jpg (103.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Model 31-1 H.jpg (44.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Model 31-1 I.jpg (71.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Model 31-1 J.jpg (96.2 KB, 44 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570