Thread: Collecting
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 12:33 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,189 Times in 2,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collects View Post
I do not care at all about original boxes, though I recognize they add financial value. The boxes are a bit of a nuisance to store and keep track of.
And while looking for the first gun with box to buy, you find a couple boxes without guns, nice condition reasonable price, so you buy those knowing you're likely to find the right gun for them. And in one of the boxes you find an extra set of stocks, and some guns have those funky rubber after market grips so you know having some extra stocks for future purchases is a good idea. Pretty soon you've got a box of stocks but too many to find the ones you know are there; so you soon have boxes for S&W, Colt, "others." Those grow to boxes for N, K/L, J, I frame stocks, Colt SAA, 1911, and you've still got your "other" box too and a box full of those awful rubber ones just in case. Along the way you talked to some guy at a show who showed you a Heiser holster and mentioned that company's long history and the wonderful products they made. Hey, that holster looks like it would fit my gun, and if it doesn't it might fit the next one. Soon you've got a box (or two) of holsters; Heiser, El Paso, Bianchi, etc. etc. etc. And when buying the holsters you found a great deal on ammo, not cartridges for which you have a gun, but likely you will have one soon enough. Pretty soon you can't find anything because of the proliferation of boxes and all because of that first box for the first gun. Maybe time to start collecting custom knives, they hardly ever come with a box.

Jeff
SWCA #1457

Last edited by 22hipower; 08-10-2018 at 12:34 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: