View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Confession: gun owners supporting tests and qualifications for CCW has got to be my biggest pet peeve, especially when those same gun owners claim to be ardent defenders of liberty. So here goes...
Yes, I cut out the big list for brevity, but I agree with the sentiment here. My beliefs on the 2nd amendment are somewhat of a dichotomy though. First and foremost, there is no requirement to a right. If anyone wants to own/carry a gun, they have that right. There is no qualification on that whatsoever. Even so, a responsible adult will seek some kind of training and do some practice.

In the real world sometimes rights conflict. Your right to own a gun doesn't negate my right to liberty. Should a convicted violent felon retain their right to own a gun? What about someone who's insane? Do they lose their rights? Nothing is absolute.

This is where the rubber meets the road:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Will some goobers do stupid things with guns? Sure. The cost of freedom is that some people misuse it.
I'll take dangerous liberty over supposedly safe oppression every time.

Here's where rights conflict a little. Does the owner of an establishment or a home have the right to dictate how people conduct themselves on their property? I say yes. If you want real liberty, it has to be that way. So, it doesn't surprise me that a gun range would have limits on how we handle our guns.

Some get offended that a range wouldn't allow concealed carry. Alas, most of the time those rules are there not to remove liberty from the 1% goober, but to protect 99% of responsible people from them.