View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanewpadle View Post
Yet hundreds if not thousands of people defend themselves successfully every year with little to no training/practice.

Way back when people couldn’t afford to practice. Every bullet had better put food on the table. Were these folks poorly skilled too?

Your view of your fellow gun owners is very bleak. I find that typical of those that claim to have as much experience as you do and boast about it.

In life experience counts more than anything else. But some degree of common sense must accompany that experience.
I hear this same BS all the time as to why people do not practice & train & raise their skill levels. You are confusing luck with skill. The reason most good guys win is not that they are better but that their opponent is even worse. So all good until you run up against well trained & skilled attackers. Think terrorists not tweekers.
Not boasting about anything, just giving a point of reference. Plenty of people can go to a flat range, 21ft & put every round into a pie plate, slow fire. Hell I can get a brand new shooter doing that in about 200rds. That does NOT make you ready for a dynamic gunfight, not by a country mile.
You can NOT refute the simple statistics of CCW qualifications. Seriously, 60rds @ 3, 5 & 7y, 70% to hit a huge B27 or B29 or what ever full size target that is used. Just hit it, standing still? I have seen people fail it, I have seen people barely hit the 70%. I have watched LEO quals where guys barely pass, a bit more difficult, but not a level of skill I would want LEO having. Consider the avg person, civ or LEO just does not practice. That is just fact. Do a poll, find out how many just on this forum, shoot every week or even every month. We are enthusiasts, the gen pop & gen LEO are not, fact.
IF this hurts your feelings, well I don't know what to say, man up maybe? Nothing I have said is insulting, just stating facts around the country. I am sure rural folks shoot more than city folks, but then most of the countries population is in those cities, again, just fact. So when I say avg gun owner or person carrying a gun has poor skills & little training, well again, just fact. How many shooters do you know that have had formal defensive pistol training? I shoot with 100 guys/gals every weekend. Even those shooters have had maybe 1-2 formal training classes, this includes LEO btw. So if semi serious competition shooters have that minimal training, how many gen pop gun owners have any??

Last edited by fredj338; 08-10-2018 at 12:48 PM.