View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,449 Times in 1,323 Posts

Caleb

It just so happens that I have a very interesting one of the guns.

This gun was presented (or given) by Ed McGivern to Calvin Robinson in 1926, living in Lewiston Mt at the time. In 1933, he became Sheriff of Flathead County, MT. When I took the grips off the gun, I found this note taped to the inside of one of the grip panels.

The gun has the King Night Sights. According to Calvin's son Robert, who was 100 years young last year, Robert was born in 1916. He was 10 years old at the time McGivern gave the gun to Calvin, and Robert was present when this gift was made, and he remembers this happening. He told me that the gun is exactly as it was given to his father, so it would have had the Night Sights then.

This next picture is is the rear sight. You can see that the white outline is set into a machined semi-circular groove. Seems to me that the white outline must have originally been some kind of insert, and not paint.

This next picture is focused on the front sight, looking through the rear sight.

The front sight blade is a King blade. This next picture shows the front sight blades on two of McGiverns guns. The top half of the picture is the Night Sights gun presented to Calvin Robinson. The bottom half of the picture is McGiverns record-setting gun, that we had on display at the S&WCA meeting in Spokane, where you viewed this gun. The blade on that gun is stamped King, as can be seen in the picture. As can be seen in the picture, this blade is higher than the one on the Night Sights gun. This is because the rear target sight blade on the record-setting gun is higher than the rear notch on the Night Sights gun.

Its interesting to note that, in McGiverns book, there is a page or two discussing his interest and work with low-light shooting conditions. Perhaps the gun given to Calvin Robinson was used for some of that work.

Regards, Mike Priwer

Last edited by mikepriwer; 08-10-2018 at 02:00 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: