Thread: Fixed vs Fold
View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 38,387 Times in 11,802 Posts

Old age and infirmity have dictated my current choices.

I have and treasure some fixed blade knives, especially a Bark River Highland Special with a four-inch blade that will do anything I want a woods knife to do. I prefer a blade of four inches or less for versatility and handiness. But I'm no longer able to hunt or walk the woods, so the Bark River and my remaining fixed blades will go to my son and his boys (they already have a number of them) when I croak.

I love slipjoint pocketknives, and still have several. My favorite is and long has been a Schrade 8OT, three blade stockman, 3 7/8 inches closed. But in the last year or two my hand strength and dexterity have deteriorated so badly that I have trouble opening the blades of a knife with decent springs.

My daily carry now is a Spyderco Endura or Kershaw OSO Sweet assisted opener, either of which I can easily open with one hand. I gave my nephew another assisted opener I liked a lot, a SOG Flash II.

I haven't been without a daily-carried knife for over seventy years. But time flies and the body wears out, so changes have to be made.