View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,699 Times in 2,623 Posts

That sounds like a wide rib variety to me, and the serial number is appropriate for a heavy barrel variety with the optional target hammer installed. I have a wide-rib K-38 with target hammer K78197. The gun might have had its target hammer from day one, but the history letter doesn't mention it. I have to acknowledge that the hammer on mine might be a later addition. My gun was shipped in January 1950.

I found references to K-38s shipping in January, February and March of 1950 with serial numbers in the K81xxx, K82xxx and K83xxx ranges. I'm thinking your Dad's gun probably shipped in early 1950 as well.

That's not necessarily inconsistent with the wedding gift tradition you mentioned. An order could easily have been placed in 1949 that wasn't fulfilled until models with the desired specs were available for sale. In 1949 S&W was being lobbied by target shooters to produce K-38 revolvers with matching loaded weights in all three Masterpiece calibers. I have no doubt your Dad would have been familiar with the S&W product line as well as the upcoming models that target pistol competitors were hoping to see any day.