View Single Post

Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,967 Times in 3,664 Posts
Default HMMMMMMMMMM??!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclfrsh View Post
Did he say why that is? Just curious.
A reasonable question---perhaps a bit odd considering the surroundings, but entirely reasonable.

This first part may appear to be a non-response response--circular at best, but we have to start somewhere. He said "This is a very important revolver." because it was given to Sharpe---as was Registered Magnum #2---as likely were more than a few others.

Okay, why were these favors bestowed on Sharpe? That came to pass because S&W felt indebted to Sharpe---he being the individual they (S&W) deemed to be responsible for the development of the .357 Magnum cartridge. As an aside, he also came to be the Gun Editor of a magazine whose name escapes me---and I reckon S&W hoped he might say a few kind words about their guns in the magazine---that being one of the many ways of the world.

I suspect it would be staggeringly redundant to comment on the impact made to S&W's well being by this cartridge---and their revolver to suit, but trust me---there are those who figure it saved their bacon---and at a time it needed saving.

Given an interest in this sort of thing, you can read all about it in any number of books---the most recent of which is also perhaps the most enlightening. It is titled D.B. Wesson's Scrapbook. And it's not a book carrying that name---it's a recreation----actually a restoration of just that---D.B.Wesson's Scrapbook (the sure enough real thing).

I believe David Carroll has some copies left. I don't know why he has copies left. Were I to comment on possible reasons it might be poorly received----never mind the accuracy of such comments.

Ralph Tremaine

And if/when anybody asks who David Carroll is---and/or how to contact him, I'm going to let someone else stick their neck out----although they might just answer the question---and let it go at that.

Last edited by rct269; 08-10-2018 at 11:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: