Thread: 696 a novelty?
View Single Post

Old 08-11-2018, 12:27 AM

Liked 9,332 Times in 3,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamHands View Post
Those are also going for ridiculous prices here and will continue to be out of sight.

What weight/grain bullet and velocity are you loading the Specials that make 22K+ PSI? Sounds to be a sweet-spot load!
I couldn't find anyone in the metro area to order a M69 for me when they first came out. Ended up buying mine from Grab-A-Gun online, with no problems. I resist buying online too but sometimes you don't have much choice if you really want it.

Brian Pearce has had many good articles in Handloader magazine (#236, #260, #293, & #298) over the years that's listed various weight bullets & powders for 44 Special "+P" loads. He originally started out by saying that he's tested the 396/696's with loads up to 27K psi, without issues, but set a 25K psi limit for them.

Later (Issue #293) he lowered his suggested "continuous use" load for them to 18K psi, sighting the FC/barrel breach thinness.

I've adopted the 22K psi loads for my occasional "+P" loads. I like Hornady's 200gr XTP bullet with either 9.0gr/Unique, or 9.7gr/Power Pistol.