View Single Post

Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 AM

Liked 640 Times in 368 Posts

I buy $20 flashlights for mounting on my guns. Get one with a CREE bulb and a 18650 type battery and you will have all the light you need. You can get flashlights that are adjustable focus (spot or flood) or you can get them fixed as flood lights. The lights are bright enough that unless you're hunting hogs at night a flood light will work just fine. There are countless mounts for these lights either for a rail or in the case of a shotgun to mount to a barrel. The vast majority of them work with 1" flashlights and there are a lot of that size flashlights around. Like you will need a rail adapter for your setup. They are much more common and much cheaper to use since there are many mounts that go on a rail.

I've used setups like this on 12 ga. shotguns for quite a while. They are plenty durable in my experience. If I was going to a war zone in the jungle I might think differently but I find the cheap ones to be plenty good enough. They have never failed me yet.

I don't use the momentary switches that either mount with adhesive or inside grips designed for them. You might surprise your target using a switch that comes on only when you push a remote button but in my experience it takes a while for your eyes to adjust to the light when you turn it on. I'd rather turn it on and leave it on. Just don't carry it where your position will be given away. These lights will blind anything you point them at anyway.

I like 45 degree offset mounts for flashlights so they are out of the way. I use a vertical grip so balance issues are pretty much moot. You have enough leverage to keep the gun level with a vertical grip.

Others will want an expensive light for this kind of job. I don't believe it is needed. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago it was needed but flashlights have come a long way and the price has dropped considerably for a quality light. I've bought both flashlights and mounts from Amazon with no problems at all.
The Following User Likes This Post: