View Single Post

Old 08-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
In about 1979 or 80 I was wheeling and dealing some High Standard stuff from my collection. At a gun show in Norfolk, VA I had a fellow show up that wanted one of my guns real bad and offered me a K-38 with a set of later, target type grips. He assured me he had the originals and would send them to me (yeah right!) but I priced the deal as if I knew I'd never see them.Well, a week later the postman brought me a package and sure enough, the matching number grips were all mine! I "made the mistake" of showing it to my dad and he traded me out of it. Nearly forty years later as his health was failing, Dad gave it back to me. It was still at least a 95% gun

In the meanwhile, I had purchased an all matching K-22 at a local auction. It was/is a lower condition, perhaps 85% or so, but surprise of surprises, it and the K-38 both date to 1948, the year I was conceived (OK, so they're not birth year guns, but I still like them!)

I wanted a matching K-32, but it doesn't look like that will happen, so the Model 16-3 homage was born, but that's another story. I'm sure Dad would have approved, and it's a good thing he talked me out of the K-38 all those years ago, 'cause I was young and stupid and would have long since swapped it off before I even knew how cool it was.

Froggie
Back in 1968 I was about to graduate pharmacy school and bought a new K 38 at a local k mart. A couple of years later I was a pharmacy officer in the USAF and was talking guns with some of the med techs in our clinic and one of the NCO's had an interest in a pawn shop and brought in a K 22, new condition but no box and I grabbed it. I still have both. A year or so later at another base I acquired a couple of pair of the larger target grips which the still wear. I looked a couple of weeks ago and still have the original grips. I suppose my son or grandson will someday get them.