View Single Post

Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 PM

Liked 26,384 Times in 9,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
I'm not sure I did a perfect job, but I have some .30 caliber carbine bullets. I put them in the vice to expand their girth to make sure it contacted the bottom of the grooves. Then I hammered them into the muzzle and beat them out with the brass rod (I bought for this purpose) from the breach end. The bullets for both the Mosin Nagant and the SKS both measured .310" diameter.

Is that right from what you have seen?
Sounds like you did it right, I usually use a lead bullet, but use what you have. As to the size; It appears they are both .310, so for cast I would use a .311" or .312" sizer (Harder alloys size smaller by up to .001). On jacketed bullets anything .310 on up to .313. Midway has Lee's in .309, .311, & .314 I used an old Lyman G&H and have a ton of used dies. They used to make just about any diameter from .300 up to .327 by .001 increments. I see them used all the time! and some people don't know what they are.

Also if at Gun Shows, you can find partial boxes of gas checks, they become affordable otherwise I would stick to coated or jacketed! 3 to 7 cents each is outrageous! I'm starting to get into coated for that reason!

Ivan