View Single Post

Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Hammer studs can be replaced relatively easily on a steel framed revolver, but it requires a refinish of a blued gun since the replacement has to be exposed underneath the cylinder release on the outside of the frame and then polished down to smooth which destroys a pretty good sized area of the bluing. Only way to do it right is to refinish the complete revolver.

The alloy frame on the 642 is another story, I think? That's why the replacement is offered instead of repair, and that seems to be fairly common in this case. But I will say this, even if S&W had replaced it and charged for the work, the 642 can be bought probably more cheaply than the work would cost, based on my personal experience.

I had this work done on a blued M-13 with a 3" barrel about three years ago since I wasn't willing to make a paperweight of it. The work was very well done and the revolver is now pretty much as new, except the bluing is not the same shiny blue that was OEM. That's not being done anymore, but the gun looks very nice to me. My 3"" M-13 has appreciated in value close to enough that it's now worth about what I've got invested in it. But it's not going to be for sale in my lifetime, barring unforseen catastrophic need to do so. So I'm OK with having this done. I personally would not have it done on a 642 because of the alloy frame and the lack of any real hope for any of the cost to be recovered. The decision presented to Ziggy seems abitrary to me, but it's not too unusual in cases like this. I understand how he feels about it.

Last edited by kthom; 08-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.