View Single Post

Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM

Liked 289 Times in 166 Posts

Ziggy2525 had the best response I heard. My coworker felt there could be a statistical model of reliability based on number of rounds shot and parts replaced in the manufacturers testing regimen. Some 3d modeling might show motion and predicted wear as well he thought.

I think a usage profile for a product best likely indicates expected reliability.

And honestly this fits my preconceived notion of buying guns designed for heavy competition for reliability for number of rounds fired matching that type of game or buying a handgun for self defense which was designed for the LEO market to benefit.

Maybe this explains the popularity of the certain S&W models and dash numbers like the 686-4 with forged parts being a preferred model. It is peak S&W production material and methods for the model, the model is designed for the LEO market and it has all features that the market demanded before the 686 moved to a consumer handgun with the Lock, MIM materials to keep costs down by reducing labor. The gun product category is now a consumer product.

This is my reasoning why certain models though having high reliability now have risks of having 'potentially' lower reliability than former models.

This does not mean they are not highly reliable, but they as a product category are not as reliable as other guns.

Whether or NOT you and I need that 'degree' of quality is up to us as purchasers.
The Following User Likes This Post: