View Single Post

Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,438 Times in 5,046 Posts

Having followed this thread for a bit I'll finally chime in.

HorizonalMike made a great point in post 31 about DA for defense. Exactly why I don't carry a revolver with an exposed hammer.

Execpro: have you considered a Centennial style? I had a 360PD and could shoot it very well, but it has a hammer so I never carried it.

We're the same height and you might have a few pounds on me. We're big enough not to notice the 8 oz. difference between an alloy gun and a steel one, and I've found the steel ones easier to master. Heck, drink a regular can of soda and you've more than made up that difference.

My hands are like catcher's mitts, and I shoot with both. Here are a few photos of grips I've come to rely on for my Centennials (both makers also make grips for exposed-hammer revolvers). The Karl Nill grips feel like a K-frame, and I don't have a problem concealing at 4 o'clock in OWB leather. The Craig Spegel grips are not quite as hand-filling, but they're more than satisfactory and a bit easier to conceal. PS: note how far down on the trigger guard the grips go -- no busted knuckles here.

A final point about these grips. These are expensive. You only need one pair. How much is your life worth?

Regarding ammo... I tried seven different loads (.38, .38+P, and .357s) out of the 640 Pro. The one I did best with (i.e., poa = poi without adjusting my sight picture) was Barnes .357 140gr lead free hollow points. Guess what I practice with and carry!

Just a few bits of food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W M&P 340 Karl Nill stocks.jpg (115.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 640 Pro, Karl Nill Centennials.jpg (114.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 940 & Craig Spegel's extended cocobolo boots.jpg (75.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by two-bit cowboy; 08-14-2018 at 08:52 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: