View Single Post

Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 AM

Liked 1,159 Times in 387 Posts

Beautiful guns, the kind I like, built for real use.

Random thoughts:

- I seem to recall the banded front sight base, "rifle base", was a popular mod with Uncle Elmer and his pals. In later days I recall one of Keith's followers, Ross Seyfried, had them on his big bore hunting revolvers. Linebaughs and the like.

- I can believe that a good portion of the then-shooting public might've been turned off by the "strictly police officer's sights" line. As mentioned, back then in the pre-Cooper/Weaver days, using the sights at all in a defensive shooting was practically heresy, and competition-wise Bullseye was pretty much the only game in town. Both factors would lead to a user not wanting to spend money on custom mods to make dim alley shooting more accurate, and that's besides want we'd call nowadays "for law enforcement use only" prohibitions.

Also just wanted to say that it's posts like this that make this forum so fascinating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Paul,

A very special, already rare model!

Yes, the 196 32 RP Targets from 1957 are true anachronisms.

Most features non-conforming to the non-target Model of 1953 New I frame (Pre Model 31) guns of the 1957 period! A very convoluted transition model for sure.

Using common collector terms we're familiar with, it can be described as a “.32 Reg. Police Target Post War Transitional 'I' frame". That's because it has 6 screws w/leaf spring, small trigger guard, pre war style round top rebated sq butt stocks, pre war style hammer spur, and the smaller pre war frame window size with cylinder diameter of 1.267”. The pre war sights are obvious, supplied w/special modified post war blue all steel sight adjusting tool (SAT) to fit tiny sight screws.

But with post war sliding bar hammer block safety, the 3rd and last style straight ejector rod with left hand thread, the 4 line address on frame, 4" (not 4 1/4") barrel w/o patent dates, post war non-chamfered cyl flute corners, post war grooved trigger, and the 3rd type post war non-sculpted thumb piece, (and post 1966 after I frames became J frames), while all other I frames of the 1957 period have the third type flat latch.

Frame serial # stamped on front grip strap above the strain screw matching all other #'d parts including stocks, 9 locations in all, including rear sight, and both front and rear sight blades. Rear sight has single elevation screw, no elevation check screw.