View Single Post

Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,492 Times in 1,464 Posts
Default Sheriff Bill Baker - Lemhi County Idaho - Elmer Keith Connection (Update in post #39)

**NOTE: See post #6 for a link to the full Sheriff Baker story - ENJOY**

***I wanted to say a very special "THANK YOU" to my long time dear friend and hunting partner Dwight Williamson for telling me about his time living in Salmon back in the 1940's with his family....and for taking the time to travel with me to Salmon several years ago to introduce me to Bill's son Bob and telling me about his time in Salmon as a young boy. You can do a search for Elmer Keith and find my other threads regarding Elmer***

For those who may be interested - This is a photo of the S&W .44 S&W Special that Sheriff Bill Baker carried. Baker resided at the courthouse in Salmon Idaho and was in office from 1957 to his retirement in 1989.

Of course this was the time that old Elmer lived in Salmon and Bill and Elmer were well aquainted.

Not sure if Elmer had something to do with the Sheriff acquiring the .44 but I have a hunch he could have.

One story I was told by Bill's son was the time that a neighbor of Elmer's called the Sheriff complaining that Elmer was going to shoot their dog if it crapped on his yard again. The Sheriff told the neighbor that no crime had been committed but that she should keep the dog out of Elmer's yard because Elmer does what he says he will do.

A few day's later the woman called and told the Sheriff that Elmer had shot the dog......and she demanded something be done immediately.

The Sheriff drove over and spoke to Elmer in the front yard with the neighbor looking on from her yard. He handed Elmer a citation and said...."I know your not going to pay this fine.....but I had to at least show her that I was citing you for shooting her dog."

Sheriff Bill Baker passed away after a battle with cancer in 1995 and is buried on the family ranch south of Salmon.

Tom Graham SWCA #2303

Last edited by THREEDFLYER; 01-04-2019 at 11:21 PM.
The Following 76 Users Like Post: