Thread: M&p 10 problem
View Single Post

Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copemech View Post
It is likely the factory will not fix your gun because they will test it with US made hunting ammo and if it works they are done.

Nato spec ammo and some cheaper stuff is not loaded to the same velocity and pressures that full powered US made is.

The Gas port is sized for this and may not provide enough gas for some guns to run well on the other stuff.

On my gun I measured the factory port size at .068 and increased the size to .073. Now it seems to eat whatever I put in it without issue.

There are a number of others that have followed this path as well with the intended results. Research indicated that even .075 is a typical port diameter in this application from various rifle manufacturers.
How would one go about increasing the port size? I’m no gun smith so it’s probably not something I’d do myself.

You say if they test it and it works they’re done. What about the brass shavings though? No one has really responded to that except to say it could be a burr in the chamber or magazine... in which case I’d think that’s something they’d fix. Can I expect them to look at it through (I can’t think of what the proper name for them is at the moment) one of those barrel cameras?

The gun you said you increased the port size on, is it an M&p 10?

If I send it back, I’m thinking I may send it without cleaning it so they can see the brass shavings and I’ll send a letter with it explaining it does it with certain (brass cased FMJ) ammo after a few successful round of mags.. maybe even sending it still dirty from the range will cause the malfunction to occur. It did so with me at the range the other day. After 3 successful mags (all soft point ammo, 2 mags of remington core lokt and one of Winchester soft point) I loaded it with perfecta, the first round was fine then when I fired the second, the third one didn’t chamber but the trigger reset and the spent casing was ejected, after that I went BACK to the remington that worked before with mixed results when before it worked flawlessly.

Sorry this is long winded... just want to be thorough

Last edited by Smthwssonshootr; 08-22-2018 at 03:01 AM.