Thread: 422 Obsolete?
View Single Post

Old 08-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 422 Obsolete?

New to the forums here, came for some help.
I bought my 422 back in the late 80's and have shot it sporadically over the years. There's been 10 year gaps where it just sat in the case, but when I finally get it out, I remember how much I like it.
Earlier this summer I took it to the range and it refused to feed a round. I unloaded the magazine, reloaded, tried different ammo, just nothing happens when rack the slide. I contacted S&W and they made a repair ticket and sent me a Fed Ex label. I sent it in and 5 weeks later it comes back with a note stating: "Your handgun does not require any service for the reason indicated below". There was many boxes unchecked, but at the bottom under "other" it simply said in handwriting "OBS Model".

I emailed back asking what this meant, was it in fact repaired, is it safe to fire, etc. The response is: "OBS model indicates that this is an older firearm that is obsolete and we no longer manufacture."
So I'm pretty sure I knew they didn't make this one any more, the wasn't my question. Was it repaired? Well I got out a box of .22lr and answered my own question. It wasn't. Still won't feed a round into the chamber.

They knew it was a 422 when I sent it in? Why did they waste my time? Can anybody explain this to me or have advice to get it repaired? I would hate to scrap it.