View Single Post

Old 08-25-2018, 05:57 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etalksalot View Post
I gotcha, I'd like to see that thing! I was saying just swapping the barrels, and the ejector rod. The model 15 base would have a 19 barrel, but still be a 38 only and the 19 base, with a 15 barrel would still be a 357. No cylinder swapping, just the barrel and I figure since the 19 ejector rod is slightly longer that the rods would have to swap, but otherwise they'd still be the same. It would just LOOK like a SB 19 and a RB 15, but in reality it would be just the barrels swapped.
I got so close to doing this very thing, I started taking measurements. Unfortunately, right off I found a problem.

The 19 barrel has a barrel/extractor rod shroud, but the 15 doesn't. Therefore the 15 front face of the frame is vertically shorter, so the 19 shroud extends lower than the 15 frame front surface.

I resorted to a set of S&W 'Plain Clothes' Magnas with two filler pieces of matching walnut, one on front and one on rear grip straps to fill in and still have factory Magnas. The two pieces are both glued to the right side grip.

So the only options are swapping barrels with a 4" or 6" 19, or have either shortened. And you'll want to get the longer tang 2 1/2" barrel model rear sight that reaches all the way to the barrel rib to look correct.
S&WCA #819
The Following User Likes This Post: