View Single Post

Old 08-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Liked 225 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl1911 View Post
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your post. You are the reason why I went through the effort of posting these pictures and why other evolved and educated collectors have done the same with various posts.

I started collecting about 5 years ago. Many forum members helped educate and guide me and continue the support so I wouldn't make too many mistakes. It has been a wonderful learning experience. Funny as I write this not sure if I ever said thanks the community.

Thanks everyone for the years of support and guidance.

We keep the interest of collecting Smiths alive by communicating and sharing knowledge and experiences. The original post is needless to say a very costly rare example even at what I consider a great price well below retail. I try dodging this part of the discussion only because I don't want my posts to be interpreted as showing off what I can have when others cannot or look at my great buying skills.

Please know collecting can be much more than a hobby - it can also be an evolving investment. I never buy a firearm for profit; however when I do purchase it is done so carefully by not overspending more times then not. In others words, 90% of the time every purchase made is done so in a financially smart buy and I rely on a team of experts in my circle who on an ongoing basis advise me.

I mention this because for a few hundred dollars, good hunting and a little help and knowledge you can build a collection, have some great fun, meet terrific people and over time anyone could put a gun like these in their vault with attention and some hard work. What most miss is act kind, polite and respectful while showing grace and gratitude. The rest comes easy.

The is my last day at the Great Reno Gun Show. I picked up a few things one being another registered magnum (I posted in stealth a picture earlier of this gun). This one is a near complete package excellent gun condition about 95/97 bought at a very affordable number. Many of our forum members could have afforded this one in their budget. It sold yesterday, day before show opened at what I would consider half of retail. I will leave you with the task of figuring out a end user value, but needless to say it was a great buy I couldn't pass up.

Here is the funny part. There were a few dealers who saw the gun early on, They were trying to squeeze the seller before I saw the gun. I know this from talking with the seller. The seller knew what the gun is and wanted the gun to sell for cash and priced very low to move quickly and painlessly. The seller's priority was finding a great new home. The stone squeezing haggling dealers lost the gun over $500. I walked up inspected the gun, asked seller for best price, a numberwas given I said amazing great number and bought on the spot painlessly and made a new connection with a happy seller.

The other dealers were walking up to me throughout the day saying, "You bought that gun!!" stated in tone I know so well with the feeling on their end - sh-t I let a great deal get away!! I can't make this stuff up. The universe has a sense of humor and some keep doing the same thing over and over again!! Please note another poor quality IPhone shot..

Thanks again for your post.. RM pix - Note the Hump back hammer Sw lit and the original receipt for gun purchase in Los Angeles 1939.
Due to age and arthritis, I have probably attended my last "big" show (Phoenix and Prescott, AZ when we lived there) and will have to be content with small local shows and shops to do my "hunting." Once in a while, I run across something of interest, but nothing like yours and RKmesa's engraved beauties. I have managed to add an early 27 (nickel 5") and early 29 (nickel 6.5") and a few scarce old Marlins (my other weakness) locally and am happy with that. Oops...forgot about the Straight Line Target that popped up at a local farm auction, but being able to see and learn about examples like yours and read the backstories is priceless. This forum and its' members are the best...Thanks to all!

Last edited by millerj7; 08-25-2018 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: