View Single Post

Old 08-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Liked 155 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notary View Post
Thanks for all the great responses from the forum....Simply put, I was asking that since the scandium adds strength to aluminum, does it still require anodizing to protect the outside of the aluminum frame? OR, is the scandium frame tough enough to not require anodizing? As far as the black finish on a scandium frame, I never saw anodizing that looked like that finish, which prompted my question to S&W. If in fact the back finish is black anodizing, it does not hold up very well, and easily wears away which caused my question if it is a true anodizing or maybe just a marketing name?
At this point, I'll wait until the right opportunity presents itself to make further inquires.
I feel like they answered the question asked albeit with a minimum of words.

Finish is not typically required for strength, but to improve surface properties. I’ll bet adding scandium does little to surface hardness. While steel gets a harder surface as the strength increases, not all metals behave like this.

When you say wears, do you mean like rubbed thin or like it chips easily.

For the Beretta guy, a sprayed on finish isn’t annodizing....that is probably a spray n bake finish.