View Single Post

Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default Ol' DC's "Four Cents"

This collector actually has five "Preemies," but the 5th is in teardown, now, awaiting time for yours truly to clean it thoroughly.

Also intended before reassembly is a side-by-side comparison of the Pre-39's guts against that of the 39-2. Such should be fairly easy given that I've also got a 39-2 in teardown, likewise awaiting a thorough cleaning.

However, given that my mind stands (well, you know) on the very cusp of that slim line which is the border between sanity and the "other choice," I'll probably choose to also include a Model 39 chosen somewhere in the 60k through 80k serial number ranges.

Aw, heck. Let's get on with the show.

Pre-39 S/N 2623 is Ol' DC's first. Acquired from Mr. Roger Bain it came with a flat-magazine follower that this collector thought so incorrect he nearly tossed it. Somehow, this collector soon learned it was the first follower and, boy, was I ever glad I didn't toss it. Another item coming along for the boxed ride from Mr. Bain's place to Ol' DC's was a really nice piece of reading material, the glossy green-and-white cover calling the accompanying sidearm simply a "9mm Automatic."

To Rescue or Not To Rescue
Kinda like a stray dog, cat or oppossum, Ol' DC couldn't help but bring home Pre-39 2289. It obviously has been through heck and back. Also obvious are the weak-ish attempts to fix up No. 2289, what with the wrong grips and, peeking from the rear, the shiny and definitely newer-looking backstrap.

Should SN 2289 be treated like the antiquity it is and leave it as-is? Or should it be returned to its place of manufacture to be pretty anew. You know the answer? I darn sure don't. So pass it along, please!

Along next, above, is Pre-39 S/N 2104. It's pretty, I love it and it is what it is. I ain't changing it no matter how ugly others may claim it to be. It's darn-sure pretty insofar as I see it.

Last, at least for this show, for now, is Pre-39 S/N 1535, which appears to have suffered only minimally from the school of knocks that has been the life of many sidearms for the last 50+ years. Like the high school girl that once was my flame, she's pretty enough despite a pimple here or there.

Missing, for now, is one Premmie currently in teardown. She'll be introduced to the world that be when time properly comes.

Then there are the Premmies I've yet to purchase. And purchase I will. After all, the Pre-39 was and remains a most-cool firearm.

Later.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: