View Single Post

Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM

Liked 968 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFramer View Post
Have thought about carrying my Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special 5-shot snub-nose revolver as my primary carry gun in a pocket holster.

How many of you think that setup would be enough for realistic self defense, or should I get a bigger gun with more capacity or a different caliber?

Thanks!

-Jay

It's enough for me most of the time but you need to answer that question for yourself.
Just based on the fact that you asked, maybe you don't think it's enough?
99% of the time I carry either a j frame or my LCP. In my situation and the environments I travel in I think it's enough for me. Occasionally I will up my defenses to a Glock 26 if I'm going into a what I perceive as a more threatening environment than my normal travels.
I don't generally carry while around the house so throughout the day I may grab the gun and remove the gun multiple times as I go out shopping or walking, so pocket carry is the easiest method to achieve that, no belt or belt holster to mess with, just slip the gun (and pocket holster) in and out of my pocket, no more difficult than my wallet. If I was a person that woke up in the morning, got dressed and put my belt and gun on and kept it on all day then I would probably pocket carry a lot less but for me pocket carry is so much more convenient.
You need to figure out what works for you, do you put the gun on and wear it all day, do you remove it multiple times a day, do you live in/or visit a dangerous area or is your life relatively danger free?