View Single Post

Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Liked 7,379 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Ignoring plainclothes and BUGs, police duty weapons are full-size to "compact", where the advantages of a .380 are somewhat lost. Ironically, plainclothes guys have carried .380s (and still do, I'm sure), and plenty of BUGs are chambered in .380. Not that what the police or military carry has anything at all to do with what a citizen should carry, because their missions are entirely different. Do you wear a kevlar helmet and plate carrier, festooned with batons, spare mags, flashlights, and so on? Huh! I guess you don't necessarily want what the "pros" use!

But whatever. The entire "police and military use X" argument is empty, hollow, and originated by feckless instructors who want to use the two years they spent fixing radios in Turkey to sell classes. It's perpetuated by everybody else that feels their 18-shot .357 Sig Blastomatic 9000 somehow means **** won't stick to them. Protip: bad stuff still happens, and people that deserve to live still die.

Is .380 enough? Sure. It's a gun, and bullets still come out the end. It still stops people, and kills people. .22 Mag is enough, and .22LR is enough, and 9mm is enough, and .38 and .44 and .45 are all enough. You can lug around more gun, and it might make a difference, or it might not.

If you do not believe a particular cartridge is enough, I encourage you to take the Two Shot Challenge. Next time at the range, bring one of those "not enough" guns, stand in front of the backstop (safety first!), and have a buddy put one in your gut.

If you feel like asking him to shoot you again, well, guess you're right. It wasn't enough. Here's a cookie.
Save your breath, I can already tell that he's one of those guys who is just going to regurgitate a line about how nobody wants to get shot, only to contradict that statement by saying that anyone under the influence of narcotics has absolutely no problem being shot at because apparently druggies are fearless.

Dunno if anyone else here has had the displeasure of being acquainted with folks who do drugs, but I for one have not only been acquainted with, but also unfortunately worked with and even had relatives who were on a variety of drugs ranging from prescription pain medication to crack-cocaine, and strangely none of them were fearless in the least, but much to the contrary either jumpy to say the least or otherwise completely paranoid/excessively fearful for their own personal safety. Neither seem like the sort to stand their ground if a firearm were to be produced, much less go asking for seconds after being shot.

Heck, my experience with most thugs in general is that they would rather avoid anybody who would put up even the slightest bit of resistance in favor of those who will readily give into their demands without hesitation for a quick, easy, hassle-free score. These guys aren't willing to get bruised, much less shot. So the 7ft/300lb+ meth head who took sustained small arms fire and kept on coming until completely incapacitated/killed makes headlines because it's such an extraordinary occurrence that it is worthy of making the news, not because it's a common, everyday occurrence as some folks seem to believe.

Last edited by Echo40; 09-02-2018 at 11:06 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: