Thread: PRESSES
View Single Post

Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. mordo View Post
I give my Hornady LnL a mixed review.

It's great for changing calibers, takes just a minute or two if you are loading the same primer size.

That said, it's jerky and tends to launch powder out of the cases if you aren't careful.

The supplied Hornady powder drop was not reliable for me at all, and has been replaced with a Lee Auto Drum that has been amazing. It also is pretty involved to set-up, while the Lee literally just screws onto a Lee expanding die and you are ready to set the powder drop amount.

The plastic bracket over the primer plate arm warped and had to be replaced; Hornady included an extra which is simultaneously thoughtful but also shows they know it's a problem but haven't fixed it.

Shell plate comes loose with out a locking washer.

The rubber o-rings on the die bushings shrink (especially if exposed to the Hornady Dry Lube) and no longer hold the dies in place. Hornady doesn't sell the rubber o-rings separately, so I end up wedging paper under them to keep them in place.

So, while I agree that swapping calibers in a minute is great and useful (I load 7 calibers currently), if I just planned to load one caliber I'd get a Lee progressive. I've bought several sets of Lee dies and a powder drop and despite their low cost they have all functioned at least as well as the RCBS and Hornady stuff I have bought.
My LNL is mounted on an Inline Fabrication press riser and that is secured on a very steady bench with NO issues. It would be a great press for 38s (mine is set up for that now and it is flawless)